Keisha Y. Brown Angel Wings scholarship Fund
When Keisha Brown was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 29, 2007 she had many thoughts running through her mind. Her biggest fear was what was going to happen to her 1 year-old daughter, Angel. This is what led Keisha to later create the Angel Wings Fund, named after her daughter.
Since Keisha had assistance from her friends and family during her battle with cancer, she did not have to worry if Angel was being taken care of. This is something that she would like to provide for other children in Angel’s situation.
“There are many men and woman who are affected by cancer. There are many men and women doing research to find a cure. But what about the children, those who are not diagnosed with cancer, but lose a parent because of it? Those are the ones we are overlooking. Those are the children Angel Wings will help to fly,” Keisha said.
The Keisha Y. Brown Angel Wings Scholarship Fund is designed to help children whose parent has passed away due to cancer. It is also hoped that this will lessen the burden placed on the surviving parent.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
- Graduating senior from any high school in Isabella or Gratiot counties
- Must be planning to enroll at an accredited college, university or trade school
- Must exhibit an outstanding attitude toward school and community
- Must have been impacted by cancer either themselves personally or parent/guardian
- Share a one page essay on "how cancer has impacted my life"
2017 Scholarship Award: 3 - $1,000
Application Deadline: March 3, 2017