Paint the High Street Bridge Fund
Vision and Mission Statement
To promote and improve the image of our community by
painting the High Street Bridge which will create a welcoming
gateway to our community that will greet and thank visitors.
Support the project with a donation
|Before - West Side heading into town
||After - West Side heading into town
|Before - East Side heading out of town
||After - East Side heading out of town
- MDOT traffic study shows 13,000 cars per day pass under the High Street Bridge.
- Bridge is owned and maintained by MDOT and Great Lake Central Railroad Company.
- Bridge is not scheduled to be prepped and painting by MDOT for at least another 10 – 15 years.
- Bridge is currently covered with lead-based paint, and needs to be sandblasted to bare metal with environmental containment.
- Utilizing P3 (Public Private Partnership) process to work toward implementation. MDOT has agreed to provide some in-kind support during construction.
- Estimated cost of the Paint the High Street Bridge Project is $100,000
• Bridge prep: $40,000 for sandblasting, traffic control
• Painting and lettering: $35,000 for protective, anti-graffiti paint product
and durable vinyl lettering
• Future maintenance: $25,000 endowment
- Bridges in Wyoming and Grand Rapids, Michigan were painted using a similar
approach. Cost to paint the two bridges was $300,000, which was funded with
- Project has the support of MDOT, Great Lakes Central Railroad Company, City of
Mt. Pleasant, Mt. Pleasant Area Chamber of Commerce, Central Michigan
University, and Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe, as well as broad public appeal.
- A fund has been created at the Mt. Pleasant Area Community
Foundation (MPACF) for tax deductible contributions to the project.