Thank you for your interest in serving on the Mt. Pleasant Area Community Foundation’s Youth Advisory Committee (YAC). Our YAC was started in 1992, and a $125,000 grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation in 1993 seeded the Kellogg Youth Fund.
Our goals for the YAC are twofold: to help MPACF address the needs of youth through grants to local programs and projects that serve young people, and to support youth as leaders in our region. YAC members learn about philanthropy, volunteerism, and community leadership.
Participation in the YAC includes:
- Attending monthly meetings to plan, make decisions, and participate in leadership development training;
- Reviewing grant proposals from organizations that benefit young people in our area and making recommendations to the MPACF Board to award $30,000+ annually;
- Fundraising for the KelloggYouth Fund;
- Volunteering for service opportunities to broaden our perspectives on the needs of our county's youth;
- Participating in state-wide leadership training opportunities, such as the Council of Michigan Foundations' Youth Grantmakers Summer Leadership Conference; and
- Conducting a youth needs assessment every 2-3 years to understand where resources are lacking or where programming can effectively impact youth in Isabella County.
The participation of well-rounded and thoughtful committee members enables the Youth Advisory Committee to make a positive impact on Isabella County. Committee members learn a great deal about the needs in our community and have the opportunity to serve as a catalyst for a better future.
The application for the 2017-2018 Youth Advisory Committee can be accessed HERE. New committee members will be named in May, and will invited to participate in our public meeting. An orientation will be arranged with new members and their family member(s). APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY APRIL 7, 2017.