Eckersley Scholarship Endowment Fund
J. Dean Eckersley was a true inspiration to our community. Dean began a career of service in 1941, when he served as a Captain in the United States Army Air Corps. He served until 1945 and received the European Theater Ribbon and Prisoner of War Medal.
Dean was an active member of the Mt. Pleasant community and took a leadership role in Isabella County. His accomplishments and contributions to our community are extensive. Dean was the president of the Mt. Pleasant Lions Club, Mt. Pleasant Jaycees and Mt. Pleasant Area Chamber of Commerce. He was a member of the City Commission from 1961-1966 and served as mayor in 1964 and 1966. In addition, he served on the Board of Directors for American Security Bank and was a former director of Eagle Village, Inc. Foundation as well as the Mid Michigan Community College Foundation. In 1969, Dean was named Outstanding Citizen of the Year.
Dean was deeply committed to our community. Upon his passing in 2011, the Eckersley Scholarship Fund was established to help students from his beloved community further their education.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
- Student shall be a graduating senior from Mt. Pleasant Public Schools;
- Student shall be planning to attend an accredited college, university, or technical school within the state of Michigan;
- Student shall have maintained a 2.5 grade point average in high school; and
- Student shall have no record of abuse of controlled substances, and shall indicate so within the required essay.
- Student shall have demonstrated involvement in extra-curricular activities and/or leadership programs.
- Student shall have demonstrated financial need as described in the required essay.
2018 Scholarship Award: $2,500
Application Deadline: March 2, 2018