The Mt. Pleasant Area Community Foundation seeks to enhance the quality of life for all citizens of Isabella County, now and for generations to come, by attracting and holding permanent endowed funds from a wide range of donors, addressing needs through grant making, and providing leadership on key community issues.
What is the Mt. Pleasant Area Community Foundation?
The Mt. Pleasant Area Community Foundation (MPACF) is a tax-exempt public charity that enables people and businesses the opportunity to establish their own charitable fund or contribute to an existing fund. Contributions to these funds are permanently endowed, which means these gifts will never be spent. The assets of all funds are commingled for investment purposes and managed professionally. Each year the earnings from investments are used to award grants that will benefit charitable programs and organizations that address the needs of Isabella County residents.
Managing your charitable giving through the Mt. Pleasant Area Community Foundation allows you to support the organizations and issues that mean the most to you. Your impact on these organizations and issues will be both immediate and forever!
Your contributions are eligible for the highest combination of federal and Michigan tax incentives available.
Vision and Values
Our vision is to shape the future of Isabella County by:
- Helping people find and fund the causes they love; and
- Cultivating bold solutions for strong, vibrant, and inclusive communities.
The Mt. Pleasant Area Community Foundation is committed to the following values as essential to our success. To our donors, stakeholders, and to one another, we make the following commitments:
- Leadership and Integrity – Our primary responsibility is to enhance donor and public trust by having high ethical standards, honoring our commitments while remaining objective, and fostering transparency in all we do.
- Stewardship – We will nurture a trusting relationship with our donors by safeguarding their assets and intent in perpetuity while working to ensure sustainability.
- Equity and Inclusion – Diversity and equity are essential to the fullest realization of our ideas and endeavors. We will lead by example, treat all people with respect, and use our position in the community to promote greater understanding through our policies and practices.
- Knowledge and Impact – We strive to be a resource for the communities we serve. To exemplify this, we consistently train and educate our Board and staff in order to better serve our donors and constituents. We are steadfast in assessing community needs and strive to measure the impact of all that we do.
- Collaboration – We value the transformative power of partnerships based on mutual interests, trust, and respect. We believe that, by working together, we create a more positive and lasting impact on our community. We will act as a catalyst to encourage others to work together to build a better community for tomorrow.
- Innovation and Change – We know that embracing change is essential to success. We seek to stimulate new and creative approaches, perspectives, and ideas to address what matters most to the people and communities we serve.
Oversight of the Foundation
A 24 member Board of Trustees oversees the Mt. Pleasant Area Community Foundation. Nearly 200 local community leaders serve on Foundation committees and advisory boards. The Foundation is engaged locally with the Mt. Pleasant Area Chamber of Commerce, and with colleagues throughout the state via the Council of Michigan Foundations. The Mt. Pleasant Area Community Foundation has received accreditation with the nation’s highest standard for philanthropic excellence. National Standards for U.S. Community Foundations® establish legal, ethical, effective practices for community foundations everywhere.
How does it work?
Anyone may use the Community Foundation to give something back to their community.
You may contribute to one of more than 275 existing funds. One of our existing funds may reflect your charitable goals or interests and would benefit from your gift.
You may choose to create your own fund. A personalized fund may be created and named:
- in memory or honor of someone you love;
- in your family's name;
- or in the name of your business or organization.
You determine how your personalized fund will benefit the community. You can choose to have your fund benefit:
- a specific organization or program in our community (via a designated fund);
- an issue you care about (via a field of interest fund);
- those who plan to pursue further education (via a scholarship fund); or
- all organizations, programs and issues in our community (via a community impact fund).
Or, you and your family may stay involved in the awarding of grants from your fund. You may create a donor advised fund through which your family can recommend charitable giving to our community.
For more information please contact us.