Herbert H. Lueth Scholarship Fund
Herbert H. Lueth was born on September 29, 1924 to Helmuth and Marie (Schmidt) Lueth. In 1942, he went to work for the family business, Medler Electric Company, which his father had purchased from William Medler in 1929. Herb ran the motor rewinding division in the early days and his brother, Walter, joined the company in 1950. They both grew up in the business. In 1983, the brothers established a program to make Medler Electric employee-owned, ensuring the tradition of customer service would continue for years to come. Today, the wholesale electrical distributor boasts 15 locations in Michigan and more than 100 devoted employees.
Herb was a man of routine who dedicated much of his life to the business and employees of Medler Electric. He retired from the Company in 2002 after 60 years of service. Longevity is a hallmark of Medler Electric employees. Bill Michael, current President and employee since 1984, describes Herb as “a very special person who remained a figurehead in the business even after his retirement.”
Herb felt strongly about using his resources to help Medler Electric employees and their children. An incredibly generous person, he established the Herbert H. Lueth Educational Development Loan Fund in 1995 at the Mt. Pleasant Area Community Foundation. Over the years, 84 loans were made to children of Medler Electric employees so that they could pursue higher education. In 2012, Mr. Lueth decided to simplify the program for the future. He established the Herbert H. Lueth Scholarship Fund, which will continue to benefit children of Medler Electric employees in perpetuity. “Herb was a decisive man,” said longtime friend Jim Goodrich. “Establishing a fund at the Community Foundation seemed to him like the right thing to do.”
Herbert H. Lueth passed away on February 8, 2013. His legacy lives on in the employees of Medler Electric Company and in the scholarship fund Mr. Lueth established.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
- Student shall be the child (legal dependent) of an employee at the Medler Electric Company;
- Student shall be planning to enroll at an accredited college, university or trade school;
- Student shall be a high school graduate; and
- Student shall demonstrate academic ability as follows:
- a minimum 2.0 grade point average for those attending a two year trade school or community college, or
- a minimum 3.0 grade point average for those attending a four year college or university.
In selecting the most qualified applicant(s) to receive the scholarship, reviewers should give preference to the following, listed in priority order:
- Student has not previously received a Lueth Scholarship.
- Student has demonstrated financial need, as expressed in the applicant’s written essay.
2018 Scholarship Award: 5 - $1,000
Application Deadline: March 2, 2018