James D. and Karen A. McConnell Family Scholarship Fund
McConnell Farm Supply was founded in 1971 by James (Jim) and Karen McConnell, and has built its foundation on supporting primarily dairy and livestock operators in the State of Michigan, but also row crop farmers, contractors, landscapers, and others who may have a need for their sales, service, or parts department. Along with supporting area producers in Central Michigan, the company sends equipment across North America and throughout other regions of the world. Jim and Karen are lifelong residents of Isabella County, where they continue to reside and operate McConnell Farm Supply along with their son, Nick. Community support and involvement have always been long standing priorities for the family. Jim and Karen raised three children in the area (Wendy, Amanda, and Nicholas), all graduates of Sacred Heart Academy and Central Michigan University. The James D. and Karen A. McConnell Family Scholarship Fund will provide support for young people looking to enter the field of agriculture.
- Student shall be a graduating senior or former graduate of a high school located in Clare, Gratiot, or Isabella County;
- Student shall be under age 25 as of the application deadline;
- Student shall have demonstrated academic ability with a minimum 3.0 grade point average;
- Student shall be planning to pursue a career in the field of agriculture; and
- Student shall enroll and attend an accredited college, university or trade school in the State of Michigan.
In selecting the most qualified applicant to receive the scholarship, reviewers should give preference to the following, listed in priority order.
- Student has demonstrated financial need, as expressed in the applicant's written essay.
- Student has participated in a youth organization (4H, FFA, etc.)
2018 Scholarship Award: $1,000
Application Deadline: March 2, 2018