Jeff and Roy Spencer Scholarship Fund
In 1980, Jeff Spencer was injured in a motor vehicle accident. He was just 22, and remained in a coma until his recovery of consciousness 10 months later. Jeff was working on the farm with his dad, Roy, and the accident changed the course of his life. Roy and Esther Spencer raised four sons and a daughter. A lifelong farmer, Roy Spencer passed away on October 7, 2003.
While the accident impaired Jeff’s cognitive and physical functions, he believes he has led a blessed life. In 2015, he created the Jeff and Roy Spencer Scholarship Fund so students could go to school and learn how to help people like him lead healthy and happy lives. The fund will support Shepherd High School graduates who want to pursue a career in agricultural studies, physical therapy, or speech therapy—the careers of those who have meant so much to Jeff and his family. “This fund is about helping people so they can help others,” Jeff said.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Applicants must meet the following criteria to apply for the Jeff and Roy Spencer Scholarship:
- Student shall have obtained their high school diploma, GED or equivalent in Isabella County; and
- Student shall be planning to enroll at an accredited college, university or trade school.
In selecting the most qualified applicant to receive the scholarship, reviewers should give preference to the following, listed in priority order:
- Student is a graduating senior from Shepherd High School.
- Student is planning a career in the field of agriculture;
- Student is planning a career as an occupational or physical therapist.
2018 Scholarship Award: $750
Application Deadline: March 2, 2018